The 2017 Australian Athletics Championships took place between 26 March and 2 April, and unsurprisingly the UC Ginninderra Athletics Club had some brilliant results. Check out their achievements below:
- The Australian and Oceania record holder in the para F38 men’s javelin, won a silver medal in the event.
- Broke the Australian and Oceania record the the F38 men’s shot put, securing his first Australian title with a distance of 14.92m.
- Took home silver in the open women’s 100m final with a time of 11.64 secs.
- Ran a time of 12.10 secs in the open women’s 100m final, making her the 14th fastest woman in Australia.
- Came in fourth in the men’s long jump with a distance of 7.83m.
- Finished outside the top 16 in the men’s U20 400m. However, did record his third fastest time this season and fifth quickest ever.
- Finished fifth overall as a member of the U20 men’s 4x100m, and was just outside the 2004 ACT record.
- Backed up this effort to anchor the 4x400m team to a consecutive fifth place.
- Also ran the 200m, recording a new PB and finishing 17th fastest overall.
- Picked up bronze in the U16 men’s para shot put, throwing a PB.
- Came in seventh in the 200m final and also threw a season’s best in the discus to finish 5th overall.
- Placed seventh in 100m final.
- Threw another 13m effort in the men’s U17 shot put, reaching the mark for the fifth time in his last six competitions. He finished eighth in the country.
- Finished 17th in the 3000m and was only 9 secs off her PB despite running in the humid conditions.
- Also came in seventh in the 2000m steeplechase.
- Finished 24th in 800m and was 4 secs off her PB.
- Came in 27th in 800m in hot conditions.
- Ran 400m in 1:02.77 to finish the championships as the 22nd fastest U16 woman in Australia.
- Won his heat in the 800m and recorded third fastest overall time.
- Finished fifth in 800m final with a time of 2:06.26.
- Also came in 14th in the men’s U15 1500m final.
- Ran a PB in 200m hurdles heat, but did not progress to the finals.
- Also ran a PB in the 200m sprint despite wet conditions, finishing in 20th position.
- Finished 13th overall in 100m hurdles.
- Ran a new PB in U16 men’s 100m, with a time of 11.39 secs, finishing eighth.
- Like Jeremy Maranan, recorded a PB in 200m but did not reach the finals.
- Ran in the U18 men’s 4x400m and finished fourth overall with his team.
- Placed seventh in the discus and also recorded her third longest throw ever.
- Threw second furthest distance this season in the javelin (23.55m) to finish 14th.
- Finished 14th in U15 women’s hammer throw with a distance of 31.22m.
- Finished 10th in the final for javelin, competing in his first major national championships.
- In her first national competition, she also scored a silver medal in the women’s F57 seated discuss.
- Also ame in fifth in the seated shot put.
- Ran second fastest time of the season to finish 10th in 200m and just miss automatic qualification to the final.
- Made the final of the U14 men’s 100m, running two PBs in the lead up.
- Has improved his overall position to finish sixth in the country.
- Came 15th in 200m sprint, 0.4 sec outside his PB.
- Ran new PB in men’s U15 400m, finished 13th overall.
- Came in 10th in triple jump final.
- Despite suffering an injury in the triple jump, still ran his second fastest time ever in the 100m heats (12.56 secs).
- Beat her PB by 9 secs in her first national final in the 1500m final with a time of 4:11.75.
- Equalled her 400m PB to place 18th.
- Her team finished 1 sec off the ACT record in the women’s U16 4x200m relay. They came in sixth overall.
- Was the fastest qualifier for the 1500m final with a time of 3:44.81.
- Finished 14th in 1500m final with time of 4:11.62.
- Came 13th in the women’s U15 100m, running a new PB of 11.39 secs.
- Took a huge 20 secs off his PB in the 2000m steeplechase with a time of 6:59.36.
By Aaron Palazzo